Sunday, July 15, 2012

Should I buy a tablet computer???

Big question! I need to propel myself into the 21st century, so I can compete intellectually with the cognoscenti nowadays. Actually I mainly intend to use the pad for remotely controlling my JRiver Media Jukebox (a free service that catalogs your music and provides tagging and artwork). Gizmo is the name of the app that allows Android devices to remotely control JRiver from a wifi connection, from anywhere, wirelessly.

I have a 37" Vizio LCD television that doubles (and triples) as my computer monitor and my movie screen, and I can read it from my couch, so the tablet isn't even necessary, as I use a wireless mouse and keyboard. I wonder how many people who own tablets have them for "Necessary" reasons, and not just for fun (games, music, wifi internet access)...They sure seem fun, with limitless possibilities!

The internet has not only changed my life but life in general for everyone has shifted greatly as a result of instant gratification and info dispersal. It's great to be able to ask a question via Google and elicit an immediate response, answers at the drop of a hat. That alone is worth the price of admission, with prices low enough for almost anyone to have high-speed content and a nice setup to compute with! Info-hungry people have a good excuse to pay the price to get that instant answer when desired.

Research is the thing that will yield answers to my necessary questions, and I should be able to afford a nice piece of equipment as the prices are coming into focus nicely. If I have to purchase the latest media player (a one-time license fee of $50) that will be one more expense I'll encounter to have the convenience of wireless access to my media library. I'm on the fence right now, but if I can decide that it's a neccesity (other important uses and not just entertainment only) I'll probably go for it. I don't think that having computer access at McDonalds is really a necessity though!

We'll see. I need to figure out how to access this newest technology. I feel as if life is passing me by as I get older! At 54 I'm definitely going through a midlife crisis of sorts...now, I need to decide if a motorcycle is a neccessity! I'm pretty sure that it is (hehe)...

Tomorrow we'll undergo more musings of necessity and priority, so keep your tubes hot and your antenna up! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment